TODAY IS
button_about.jpg button_home.jpg button_links.jpg button_membership.jpg button_tips.jpg larks_title.jpg
Classifieds
Fields & Membership
Community Involvement
About Larks
Events
Flight Instruction
Home
Member List
LARKS Wear
Neighboring Clubs
Photos
Tips and Advice
Officers
Sponsors
Contact Us
Plane of the Week Index
Photo of the Week Index
Build and Review of Gary Wright CrazE Wing
  Next Page
Previous Page
Build Notes - Part 1 (August 4, 2016)
I first noticed this model on Hobbico's KEEP IT RC e-bulletin this spring. I was intrigued and the price was right ($49.99), plus I wanted another flying wing (built my first flying wing in ~ 1983, can't remember the company, but it was a foam core wing, covered in plywood. Had an OS 60 for power. Elevator was split from the ailerons if I remember right....). This kit was pre-ordered and finally shipped June 29th. I was on vacation in Colorado at the time and couldn't wait to tackle the build.

I saw a demo flight at the 2016 Joe Nall, and if flew so fast you could hardly see the thing. Real world events (code for work and the infamous honey do list) interfered. So I start the build today, August 4th. These pages will chronicle my efforts..........

I have unboxed the kit and laid it out for construction. The advertisement on Tower said build time is approximately 2 hrs. I originally thought to use a small electric power plant that I had sitting around from our friends at Heads Up RC. It was a Firepower Sport 15 Outrunner, but I thought it might be a little much, so I went with the recommended Tower 30-25-1000 brushless motor.
 Tower Hobbies Part #    Cost
 Tower CrazE Wing by Gary Wright                            LNFYRU    49.99
 APC 9x6 Thin Electric Propeller (4) LXZK94    10.36
 Tower Hobbies Electric Aircraft Motor 30-35-1000 LXAUTG        19.99
 Flyzone Prop Adapter Zero RTF RxR LXFNXW  
  5.79
Heads Up RC   Part #    Cost
 11.1v 1800mah 50C EZ Flite Pro Lipo Battery with T-plug F-164    19.95
 Sky Power 45A ESC with Switchmode BEC H-105     22.95
       
 Flyzone Servo DHC-2 Beaver Select Scale (2)  LXCPGM    
 (from another Flyzone plane from Tower) micro-servo      
       
       
 Firepower 15 Sport 960kv Outrunner *Not Used     24.95
Parts List w/Links
Tower 30-25-1000
brushless motor

I used Heads Up RC for the battery and the 45 Amp ESC. I called Tower and made sure that the bullet connectors were 3.5 mm on the motor. Did not want to do any more soldering than I must. I ordered the parts a week or so ago from Tower and Heads Up and received each package within 3 business days. Great service all around!

I had some mini-servos laying around, but they turned out to be much to large to fit with the servo compartment. I opted for two Flyzone micro-servos from a crashed (just broke off the foam nose of my Sensi) high wing trainer, at least to start. The directions call for servos with at least 32 oz torque. I couldn't find any technical data on the servos, but the size matches that of servos that have this much or more power. I'll probably order them and use the new servos before the test flight.
Below are some photos of the contents of the boxed kit and the items listed above (except for the Firepower 15). Click each for a 640 sized image.
craze_wing_unboxed_250.jpg micro-servos_250.jpg power_package_250.jpg receiver-servo250.jpg
Unboxed Kit. Notice the white piece of paper at the lower left corner. Can't see where it fits on the plane, but it must be of some use.. Will have to Google it!

Seriously, this is the fewest parts in an ARF kit I have ever purchased!
The parts that supply the get up and go!
My original plans for receiver and mini-servos (left) that were too big and the micro-servos that actually fit (right).
Hour #1

After taking the photos I proceeded to actually look at that white thing above and it gave some instruction information, kind of in comic book format. I guess a picture tells a thousand words? The instruction manual recommended ironing out the wrinkles, but I will save that for just before applying the decals.

Some interesting things on the back of the booklet are three outline images. Two to set the servos and one to set the normal elevon incidence. The most difficult part was in setting up the hardwood blocks to mount the servos. They had to be aligned with the servo shaft in the center of the openings. Then you have to bend the elevon push-rods to a fairly sharp 90 degree bend. Results seem to be satisfactory for now, but I think I will replace them with new pushrods bent with my Great Planes Precision Z-Bend pliers.

After about 15 minutes, I was able to get the control horns on. The back plates did not line up as well as I would like, but they are on now. The trick seemed to get one screw started, then try and get the other screw to line up with the second hole in the back plate. One side went together in a minute, but I really had to work on the second. Almost left for the hobby shop for another set.

Next problem was the length of the servo arms. I will have to get a set that is longer than came with the servos that came with the Sensi. For now, I will just adjust the throw via the radio (Spektrum DX 9 transmitter).

The last few minutes was spent in gluing the fuselage in place. Here I used 5 minute Epoxy, which I would not advise for any of you building the plane. Go with the 30 minute glue and mix a fairly big batch. I clamped it down just about a minute before it started to set. I would have liked not to have rushed this part, but my timer was going off.

Time to quit. My wife came home and saw me working in the sun room, instead of the shop. Caught me before I could hide the evidence.

Time: 1 hr and 25 minutes.

Part Two with the next web site update.